PDA

View Full Version : Terminology and why it is important!

admin
05-22-2016, 01:02 PM
pre·cise
adjective: precise - marked by exactness and accuracy of expression or detail.
(of a person) exact, accurate, and careful about details.

Terminology is very important when looking for parts and even help with a particular repair, or troubleshooting a problem. I know many people think they know what various parts are called, and they think they are correct because that is what they have always called them. I will give you a perfect example. In my warehouse, I have what I call a forklift. I know the older generation often calls it a "tow motor". Two names for the same piece of equipment. IF I go to Google and type in forklift, I will get a lot more relevant results than if I typed in tow motor. The same holds true for plow parts and tech help.

I happen to notice a comment on YouTube left for one of my Rebuilding a Meyer E-60 Snow Plow Pump videos. The comment was, "Not a pump, it's a electric motor". Well I guess that is what that person was taught it is called. When I look at an E-60, I can see a 12 volt DC motor that I know drives an internal positive displacement Gear Pump to provide fluid power. In the industry it is collectively commonly referred to as an "Meyer E-60" or "Meyer E-60 Plow Pump". IF you called here and said you are looking for an "E-60 Motor" I will tell you we have plenty in stock, because on the shelf, we have many 12 volt DC electric motors that are used on the Meyer E-60. Never would I surmise you were talking about the WHOLE unit. The older generation also might call the E-60 an "electric over hydraulic" unit. This is because the 12 volt DC electric Motor drives the Gear Pump. Back in the "olden days" when the norm was having a belt driven pump mounted under the hood on the engine, I guess "electric over hydraulic" was a way to distinguish between the two. Since you have not been able to find an engine mounted pump for a pickup since about 1990, there has not really been a reason to say "electric over hydraulic" anymore.

I guess what it comes down to is what the MANUFACTURER calls a particular part. For instance, I get a lot of requests for a "plow bracket". They will e mail and say "I need a plow bracket for my truck". I surmise that what they are asking for is called a "Mounting Carton" by Meyer Products terminology. Fisher calls it a "Peculiar Attachment Kit" (or used to call it that), and in that Peculiar Attachment Kit is/was a Left "Push Plate", and a Right "Push Plate". So I also get requests for "a set of push plates" as well. Then I know they are used to dealing with Fisher as opposed to Meyer. Western calls it a "Mount Box". The same part that Fisher calls a "Push Plate", Western calls a "Thrust Arm", and Meyer calls a "Weldment". In general, all three (Push Plate, Thrust Arm, Weldment) would be a "Bracket" by most people's definition, because there is a Left Hand, and Right Hand (Left Side/Right Side) bracket. Add up all of the pieces and you have what most refer to as a "Mount". I get requests from people asking for a "Plow Hitch", then I know they do not have much experience with plows in general.

One of my favorites to hear is "angle arms", or "angling arms". That is what some call PA Rams (Power Angle Rams). Meyer calls them PA Rams in their parts lists. Fisher calls them "Angle Cylinder Assemblies", and Western calls them "Ram Assemblies" in their parts lists. The chrome part is called the "Rod" or "Piston Rod". I get many requests for the "shaft" (which none of the plow manufacturers sells separately). I guess it could be called a shaft, but none of the manufacturers call it a shaft. Typically a shaft rotates during operation.

What we call the "Lift Ram" some refer to as the "Pump Shaft" when they e mail asking for parts. I have heard it enough to understand what they really are asking for. The actual Pump Shaft is what the 12 volt DC Motor is coupled to which it turns to make pressure.

Another is what many call a "solenoid" (or selenoid because it is hard to spell..) and again the manufacturers have different names for them. Meyer calls them "A Solenoid Assembly, B Solenoid Assembly, and C Solenoid Assembly". Which consist of the A Coil, and A Cartridge Valve, B Coil and B Cartridge Valve, etc. Fisher calls them "2 Way Coil Cartridge Valve, 3 Way Coil Cartridge Valve, 4 Way Coil Cartridge Valve". Western calls them "Cartridge 20, Cartridge 30, and Cartridge 40". Both Fisher and Western refer to the Coil as "Coil with Spade Terminals" because they use the same Coil on all of their Valves.

What we refer to as a "Solenoid" or "Motor Solenoid" is actually called a "Contactor" and it is under the hood. It provides battery power to the 12 volt DC Motor on the hydraulic unit. Going back to say the 1980's, what Meyer called the E-47 Electro-Lift Assembly, or Electro-Lift Unit, Western had their Solenoid Isarmatic Mark IIIa, and Fisher had their SEHP (Solenoid Electric Hydraulic Pak). In general they are a Meyer plow pump, a Fisher plow pump, and a Western plow pump, and then we would state the specific model number/name. Such as Meyer E-47, or Fisher SEHP, or Western Isarmatic.(Solenoid or Cable Operated).

The point of all of this drivel is that when you are searching, the more accurate the search term, the more relevant the results of that search. Tiny cell phone screens and auto correct do not help the situation. If you REALLY need help, get to a computer because exploded views of complex systems were NEVER meant to be viewed on that tiny phone screen, and never will.

You can find more info on various terms in our http://www.meyerplows.info/meyer-plow-glossary.html Meyer Plow Glossary (http://www.meyerplows.info/meyer-plow-glossary.html)

~Admin