Thread: E60 Help

E60 Help

I recently purchased an E60 to put on my 83 K20. I want the faster speed of the E60 vs E47 that came on the truck.I believe this is an older E60 based on how the PA block and the fitting for the hydraulic lines go. Both are on top vs one on top and one on the side. After getting the pump home, I drained the fluid out and cleaned the filters. Refilled and installed the pump on my truck. The pump worked well at first but then gradually lifted slower to the point that it wouldn't lift the plow up higher then say 6 to 8 inches off the ground. Angled and dropped just fine though. I noticed that fluid was leaking around the top ram seal. I ordered a new cap with seal and wiper installed in it. After swapping those out I went and tried it again to check for leaks. No leaks but still the same problem with lifting. I also noticed that when in float, I can't just press the lift ram all the way down to get slack in the lift chain to take the chain off. I then ordered a basic seal kit from you. I found that the rubber seal that goes onto the brass piece at the bottom of the cylinder was bad. I replaced with along with the other O rings inside the ram and at the base of the sump. I again refilled the pump and took it back out to try again this weekend. Same results again with lifting and when trying to get the cylinder all the way down. The motor doesn't sound like it is struggling to lift the plow at all, it just gets to a point and stops. With the plow not installed, the lift cylinder goes all the way to the top just fine. I am going to put a pressure gauge inline with one of the angle cylinders and see what kind of pressure I have when the plow angles. Not that I feel it matters, but I am using the 2 stick controller to control the pump currently. It works just fine with the E47. I'm kind of lost as to where to go next. I didn't pull any of the valves so maybe that would be my next step? With no Meyer dealer around with in an hour and a half drive, I'd really like to try and get this figured out myself if at all possible.

Lets start with the not lifting all the way. As you said, a gauge will tell you what is going on more. There was a small fat O Ring in the E-60 Basic Seal Kit you got. That goes on the back of the Gear Pump. Once you get a pressure gauge on the unit you will know where the pressure is, and find out if you can raise it if need be. IF the O Ring on the back of the Gear Pump is shot, you will not be able to make the pressure you need to even with what you did. You did not mention replacing this O Ring so I wanted to point it out. I just did one in the fall that would raise when warm, but not when cold. The temperature difference was swelling the parts and making a seal, then they would shrink in the cold and it would not lift. It got worse over time until the customer brought it in. The O Ring was very deteriorated. Your problem is a seal (that fat O Ring) or a pressure setting problem. You mentioned the motor does not sound like it is struggling, which would also point to adjustment, or the fat O Ring.

The not lowering, well that is adjustable. IF you have tried adjusting to no avail, you can remove the A Valve, remove the drop speed screw, and blow air through the port. IF the plow slams to the ground now, then there is no blockage, and no reason to pull the A Valve. IF the plow comes down slower than the E-47 did, then there is a problem. Two turns out on the drop speed screw and that plow will bounce when it hits the ground. IF you tried adjusting, took the screw out and blew air through, and same problem, then there may be a blockage in the port from the filter on the front back into the Sump Base. You can drain the unit, remove the filter on the front, and blow through the port with compressed air. Make sure the Fill Plug / Vent is removed when you do.

Always leave the Valves alone when possible. Ignore the 90% of the bad advice out there that always tell you to "replace the selinoids" and yes, they spell it wrong. The E-60, when the pump goes into relief, it will pull around 200 amps, maybe more. A good running E-47 will pull around 150 amps. In that 83 you would know the pump when into relief. My 80 GMC only had a 64 amp alternator and I ran an E-47. Never put the heat on high to save juice. The heat would stop, the wipers would stop, I had lots of clues how much of a load there was on it

~Chuck

Chuck, I was able to put a pressure gauge on it. I'm right at 2500 PSI on the gauge. I didn't touch the O ring on the back of the gear pump.

Here is a video I took this weekend showing what it is doing. I didnt have the angle cylinders hooked up but wanted to show the lifting issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h796...ature=youtu.be

Hook up the angle hoses and angle the plow. IF the motor sounds the same, it could be a weak motor. I don't hear the pump going into relief, like the motor does not have the balls to do it. I know it is an 83, and back then they grounded to the frame, truck frame or plow frame. IF it is, move it to the battery - terminal and try again. It must be grounded to the battery. The motor is definitely not spinning as fast as it should be. The whine should be a much higher pitch under load and a squeal when it goes into relief. It sounds like it is struggling to make that 2500psi.

How far is the ram sticking up? No view of the front in the video. Is it the last inch or so that won't go down?

~Chuck

Just checked the grounding cable and you are right, it goes right to the plow frame behind the bumper. Tomorrow I'll have to get a new cable. Any recommendation on proper size? After I do that I'll hook everything back up and see what happens.

As far as going down, with the plow not attached I'd say it is sticking up to the point of the lift arm almost being parallel with the ground so maybe 3 or 4 inches? My 200# leaning on it won't push it down.

The original ground I think just about all plow manufacturers use is 6 gauge. I'd use 2 gauge if it came through my door. If it has a single lug motor (since you said it is older) it may be losing its ground. It grounds through the mounting screws and where it contact the mounting plate. It might be white and crusty between the two. Since you replaced the E-47 with this E-60, you can try using the A Valve from the E-47 and see if it goes down better. When you changed the packing and reassembled it, wasn't the Lift Ram at the bottom of the stroke? IF it is parallel to the ground, the you only have about 2" of stroke left to go, so that is why the plow does not lift very high.

~Chuck

Update. Swapped the ground cable from the frame directly to the battery. Damn thing goes up all the way, angles just fine and drops til it hits the ground just like it should. Ran this several times and no changes there. Still have a problem getting the lift cylinder down to unhook the chain though. I can't press it down with my body weight like I can with my E47. A couple light taps on the lift arm and it will drop and then I will have slack to take the chain out. The pic shows how much the ram is sticking out when the plow is down and in float mode with the down switch. And yes I know the chain isnt going through the lift arm like it should. I just wanted to try it out and see if that fixed the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did you try adjusting the drop speed? Does the plow come down fast now until it hits the ground? You can see a rust ring on the Lift Ram, like that is where a previous owner always had it. IF the Lift Ram was all the way down, it would have a rust ring (if at all) higher, because where the rust ring is now would be inside the unit. It also might mean there is rust at the bottom of the cylinder. You had it apart, how was the cylinder bore?

~Chuck

I did try adjusting the drop speed. Plow drops fast with the plow on. I had the plow off and raised the cylinder up til it stopped. Even then its almost impossible to get it to drop. Doesn't matter how high or low the cylinder is. I also pulled the cap off the top to make sure that I had the washer in the correct was with the grooves. How easy should the cylinder spin? On my E47 it spins fairly easy with a screw driver in the bolt hole for the lift arm. On the 60, it takes a little force to do it.
    Last edited by Will; 02-11-2019 at 04:56 PM.