One complaint I constantly hear from those who bash Meyer plows is that "they freeze up all the time". I think rather than just spread a bad experience, those who have the problem should be asking themselves WHY? Well "because Meyer is junk" is NOT the reason. Keep this in mind.... in the lower 48 States, low temp Hydraulic Oil will NOT FREEZE. It is not possible. So what does that mean? It means that water got into the unit, and the WATER froze. So if someone is having a problem with their hydraulic unit freezing up, the real problem they have is that water is finding its way into the unit. The freezing up is the result of the water getting in. People often like to shift the blame back to the manufacturer when they have a problem with a product. Often it is their own fault due to a lack of maintenance. I hear it all the time from those who own EVERY brand of plow, and that is "I have not changed the fluid in X number of years". Well what did you think would happen?

Facts:

Low Temp Hydraulic Oil will NOT freeze.
Low Temp Hydraulic Oil contains some type of anti-icer (usually alcohol of some type) that allows it to absorb about 1 ounce of water.
Once more than an ounce of water has gotten into the system, freeze ups can occur. I say "can" because what you might notice is that when it is above about 20° F the unit will work fine. As soon as it dips into the teens, it freezes up.
IF you only drain the hydraulic unit and refill, you did NOT get all the water out of the system. You must drain the WHOLE system.
Running ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) does not help. There is no anti-icer in it, and it gets thick when it gets cold.
Where fluid leaks out, water can get sucked in. IF you have leaks, FIX THEM.

If you keep getting water in your system, have the hydraulic unit rebuilt by a reputable shop (or do it yourself) and IF the PA Rams are leaking,or if there is pits and rust on the chrome rods, REPLACE the PA Rams too. It will be money well spent. don't be a cheapskate when it comes to keeping your plow reliable. I actually had a customer come in and ask if brake fluid was OK to use in his E-47 because "hydraulic oil is so expensive". Most plow hydraulic systems hold about 2 quarts, 3 max, so if you can't afford $30 or less once a year to help ensure your plow works when it should, I don't know what to tell you. chances are when your plow does not work, and you have to pay to have your property plowed it will cost more than $30 a year, and IF you plow commercially, shame on your for not maintaining your equipment and for putting those who hired you to plow their properties at risk when they are counting on you most.

~Admin